Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Bizarre Foods and a Huge Reason I Travel

Andrew was exploring Appalachia a place I dearly love.  I lived in Elkins, West Virginia for four years and it certainly had a lot to do with how I turned out as a person.  He visited Helvetia, a community founded by German and Swiss immigrants towards the end of the Civil War.  It is so isolated from the rest of the world that it didn't get it's 1st electric light bulb until 1939.  Some of the towns folk even have a swiss accent if you believe it or not.

It is one of the thousands of treasures one will find when hitting the road with your family.  And one I found on a few occasions on long lonely Sunday drives.  There you will find the most unique places to eat in the Mid-Atlantic Region. The Hutte.  If you enjoy skiing in Canaan Valley or are on a college road trip that brings your to three of the regional schools than I suggest taking the time to go there.

One destination I think parents miss often are the one's that we have been to before.  Your high school, your college, a neat overlook where you had an epiphany.  It doesn't need to be famous, if it is a part of you're soul than it is a part of your children's soul.

Go somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment