Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

The Travelin Tots on MLK Day.

     So we were not very observant of MLK and stayed in today.  The kids are probably a little young to get it so I don't feel that bad.
     But I did take some time to think about great men and great movements in our history.  And that lead me to think of little men and little movements in our history.
     The best man I have ever know is of course is my father.  He would shrink away from that thought, but he has overcome a lot in his life to provide a great one for me and my bro.
     I am reminded of a story he told me when he went to Vietnam.   Larry was drafted and sent to Ft. McClellan in Alabama for Basic Training in 67'.  Larry had grown up poor in Mt. Rainier and quite frankly had grown up towards the tail end of segregation in the D.C. area.  While he was not a renaissance man, for the most part he and the black kids got along, but never really hung out.
     One day, towards the end of Boot Camp, when the soldier's started getting weekend passes to hang out in town, Larry noticed that a couple of the Black soldiers he had become acquainted with weren't using their passes.   My dad, noticeably shy, approached the guys and asked them to come with him to a movie.   They hesitated, but reluctantly agreed to tag along.
     My father did not understand their trepidation until he got to the ticket booth to buy the tickets.

"Your friends are gonna have to go around back" The man said through the glass.
"Why?" my father asked.
"Well, the coloreds have to go 'round back and sit in the balcony with the other colored's" The man said indigently.  
 
    Larry never protested anything, he was far too humble to think he could affect change.  He knew his limits, but these men were being drafted to fight a war for their country, and as they trained for it they were being refused the common courtesy other citizens were offered.  He did not scream, fight, picket, dodge the draft or have a sit in. All he could do was do was what he could do.
  
      He took his money back and said undramatically "If they can't walk in with me, then I 'm not going in either" and they walked home.

     He changed nothing, the movie still played, the "colored's" still sat in the balcony, and justice was in no way served.  But they did not have his money.  And because enough people, black and white took their money back and walked away like he did that night, my father's grand children live in a world where legalized segregation is a way of life they could never imagine.
     I hope to teach my children that they may not be able to change the world, but they can walk away from what is wrong like their Paw-Paw, and sometimes if enough people join them, the wrong will end.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment