Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Year of the Travelin' Tots


     When I sat down to consider the adventures we had been on this year I thought it had been a slow year for the Travelin' Tots. As the events of the year transpired in my head I noticed that it was one of the busiest and best yet.
     As to be expected it was a year of profound loss and one of great gain. A year of slaying demons, and a year of moving forward and improving ourselves.
     We were greeted the year with a sudden loss in our family. On february 11th we said goodbye to our beloved Golden Retriever Elvis. He was the story of us. The “test” we gave ourselves before tying the knot. And while the loss was like a punch in the gut to the both of us two days later the universe would give us a reason to rejoice.
     On February 13th our daughter Brooke was born. The real adventure was getting to the hospital in the Blizzard of 09' only to be turned around b/c of a false alarm.
     The Traveln Tots were complete. The year would be peppered with small day trips, outings to the library and our Jackson showing Brooke the ways of the world. Our adventure had begun.
     One trip I took by myself was to say goodbye to my Grandmother Pearl. What can I say? I turned 18, I blinked then I was 30 and I had seen my Maw Maw once a year, by then time I realized it, her mind had begun to wander and she had moved a few hours away. As I sat there by her bedside I promised that I would cherish her memory and try not to let it happen with the next generation. In fact it may have been her yearly subsciption to National Geographic that lit the travel fuse under my bum. When I left I leaned down to kiss her cheek and said “I love you Maw Maw”. She looked up at me, and I could tell that even if she wasn't quite sure who I was, she knew I meant it.  A few weeks later she was gone.
     As with every year in this life god gave us and took from us. In the end every year is a part of the journey whether you fly to Japan or stay home and laugh at your 3.5 your old while he shows you how to dance.
So here's to another great year. Let it be safe. Let it help us grow. Let it find us happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment